Situated about 500m from the Madikeri bus stand and located on a hillock the imposing fort was built by Mudduraja in 1681. The earthen structure was rebuilt in granite by Tipu Sultan. Mudduraja also built a thatched roof palace here which was renovated in 1814 by Lingarajendra II, and then in 1933 by the British, who added a clock- tower and portico. Nearby are two startlingly life-like masonry elephants. The fort’s Veerabhadra Temple was demolished and a Gothic-style Anglican church built in its place in 1855. The church now houses a museum which displays historic items relating to Kodava life.
How to Reach :
There is no airport in Kodagu district.The nearest airport is Mangalore International Airport located about 137 km away from Kodagu. Mysore domestic airport is the nearest from Madikeri located about 121 km away. Kannur International Airport is located about 120 km away from Madikeri
There is no railway station in Kodagu district.The nearest railway stations to Madikeri (district headquarters, Coorg) are, Mysore Hassan and Mangalore of Karnataka State and Thalassery and Kannur of Kerala state.
1km from Madikeri